View Single Post
Old 10-27-2002, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default disappointing moment

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I said to mark Macrae's mother (Mark being at the game) when i got home late.

My son reviews mpovies for nthe Dallas Morning News, and he said the skewed thing was the "Moment" business. Some very important things were NOT moments. Jackie, Aaron (whoops, that WAS a moment), Williams and Di Maggio and as they pu t it 'the race between Mark Mcgwire and Sammy Sosa to break maris' record" (I liked that!).

Gehrig WAS in the top ten; he was 4 or 5. Maybe it was all those ads, but--even though I was already 4, I'd never seen a newsreel--I think Gehrig belongs up there too. This guy plays every game, because that's the way he is, and then finds out he's speedily dying of some rare disease, and says he's the luckiest man on the face of the earth. Funny, I never paid much attention
to Gehrig before. Gutsy guy, and a great ball player.

You know, I never watched baseball as a kid, young woman--not until I was about 40. So, though all those things DID happen in my lifetime. I only remember Gibson's home run, and Jeter's traversing the diamond, catching the errant throw from the outfield and flipping it to the catcher to tag the non-sliding Giambi. I know, that wasn't even nominated. I was so excited about Gibson that nobody spoke to me for a week..this is As country.