View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 08:58 PM
Chuck Tapia

I feel somewhat the way you do regarding the 20 vig. REA and LOTG are now charging sales tax. In CA, that's 10%. You could get a resale license if your a seller but I prefer not to f with the taxman. So that does put you a bit in a bind. Still, I would certainly consider it to get what I wanted, even if I had to set a record for a card like that.

I did buy mine right here with another collector I had a good relationship with. He offered me a fair deal and I didn't need to negotiate. I bought both a 51 Mays and 51 Mantle in the same deal. I paid by check which I have on numerous occasions with members here.

I also bought my 52 Topps Mantle from a seller/collector that was local that had a good reputation. I was able to research the card before I met the gentleman for lunch. He was a great guy and we made a deal. We went to my bank and got the cash, took it across the street to his bank and deposited. he gave me the card.

I thought I liked the idea of paying cash at a show. My concern these days is I don't trust the areas. I could not imagine bringing 10-50K to ONTARIO, CA a couple months ago. Very nice place to get jacked. I don't need that.

There is a really good facebook group with 3-4 major dealers in it as well as some Net 54 quality collectors I'd trust. Otherwise, probably not for this type of card, IMHO

I'd look at every avenue in your arsenal for the right fit you can live with. If you are like me, it will be with you for a long time, so the CARD should over shadow your "DEAL".

This is the one I ended up with and Despite it NOT being a PSA 10 1 of 1, I'm more than happy with it. Some would even say it "HAS EYE APPEAL". And I'm the Low eye appeal KING! I could care LESS it's not SGC or PSA. It's just a nice card the way it sits and it was right at the time for me.

GOOD LUCK and happy hunting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle A.jpg (207.2 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 04-06-2023 at 09:03 PM.