View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Larry

Default 1926-1929 Exhibits Postcard back

Now let's see--I tried posting this just awhile ago, and it ended up in the testing forum, where it received only one response from one very kind member who took the time to go through those postings. Anyway, I thought I would try it again, and if I'm doing something wrong in my posting, Leon can probably tell me!

I wondered if anyone, especially those of you out there who are Exhibits Supply Company card collectors, have an opinion as to the true scarcity/rarity of the 1926-1929 Exhibits Postcard Backs. It seems that you'll see a smattering of some of the key cards come out from time to time, such as the Gehrigs and Ruths, Foxx, Hack Wilson and Grove, for example, and then the supply dries up for quite some time. I'm a PSA member and consequently have access to its pop reports, and these would indicate that they are at least fairly scarce--15 of the Gehrig portrait (which I consider to be the one card that really captures the essence of Lou!); 7 of the Jimmie Foxx (which may well be only a one-year issue, since 1929 was his first really big year--.354, 33 HR's), and 8 of the Hack Wilson. I don't have access to the SGC pop reports, but when I checked with a dealer who did last summer with regard to the Gehrig portrait, he advised that SGC had graded 6 Gehrigs at that time from this set, but did not distinguish between the batting and portrait varieties. Anyway, with the rather consistent rise in prices of some of these cards, it would seem that if they were out there in any real quantity, more would have been graded by now.

Any opinions guys?

Thanks,

Larry