View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 PM
David McDonald

The Babe would have been right at home in the Disco Era in that leisure suit.
Very cool photos, Scott, a glimpse into another time. Somewhere in the borough of Brooklyn that long-ago Wednesday evening my young mother,
eleven years old at the time, was probably doing homework or listening to the radio. She's not in your picture, but that's what I'm seeing.
It's hard to make out the players' faces but Baseball Almanac dot com http://tinyurl.com/bjnubqj tells us that number 4 was Dolph Camilli.
The player sporting what I make to be number 6 on the right would be second baseman Johnny Hudson. (If that's an "8" it would be third-string
catcher Paul Chervinko who wasn't in the box score, and, besides, Hudson's bbref.com photo suggests he's your man). Three players on the roster
had a zero as their second digit: Centerfielder Ernie Koy #20, Utility Man Gibby Brack #30 and substitute catcher Roy Spencer #10. I'd go with Koy
by virtue of his large size; the vague look we get from the back doesn't disagree with his bbref.com pic (how's that for science?). The short guy
with his head turned to the right might well be Gibby Brack. He was a bit of a funny looking fellow and he was in the lineup that night. Or it could be
the batboy. We can be pretty sure that number 32 is not Koufax; the guy in the fedora next to him is almost certainly Barry Sloate who was a Cub Reporter
in the Spelling Department at the Brooklyn Eagle at the time.

Yeah, I know. I've got a lot of time on my hands.