View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default N167's on ebay- new info

Posted By: leon

I don't really know what constitutes getting your name put on a holder. I guess I could ask but don't think it would add anything to the card(s). Mr.Nagy, or Mr.Burdick, or a few others might....but little 'ole moderator dude probably has little value . I do think SGC holders are the best looking for most of our vintage cards. I also feel SGC gives superior service. The Fedex (sorry Tom, but I did send it out UPS red) guy just dropped this off...I knew I would get my newest addition back today.....Hopefully the sellers dad will be forthcoming with the info I mentioned earlier. Here is a small excerpt that I cut and pasted concerning the sale to Mr.Nagy....written by Bill Mastro, and taken from the good folks at Beckett's, website...I hope they all don't mind as credit is given...and maybe, just maybe, I can help with some more info....

"In 1959, Nagy brokered one of the greatest deals in the history of our hobby, spending the entire life savings of his family to purchase the humongous collection of Walter Corson. Old Walt was terminally ill. The entire upstairs of his house was filled with all kind of cards, including those most coveted by Nagy —baseball cards! Corson had run a few ads in the archaic (by today's standards) trade papers of the hobby with an asking price of $10,000 for his entire assembly. Ten grand was a king's ransom back in 1959, and after a few months of ads there were still no takers. Nagy called Corson, then jumped in the old woody wagon and headed out to Pennsylvania in the hopes of making a deal face to face.

Three days and $6,000 later, Nagy had charmed the aging Corson into accepting his offer. He stuffed the car to capacity and shipped dozens of cases to his home in Detroit"

I guess this is one that slipped through the cracks...though we don't know for sure it would have come from that sale...yet ...

edited for grammar and to make amends with Tom