View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Sorry to be a contrarian, but unfortunately, I suspect that in the not too distant future, we will see eBay adding sales tax to ALL invoices from ALL sellers, except for purchasers who are exempt because they are resellers. Being a huge organization, it should not be difficult for eBay to do this. eBay would transfer the sales tax info to PayPal so that PayPay can collect the taxes and remit them periodically to all the state and local jurisdictions on behalf of ALL the eBay sellers. Being a huge organization, it should not be difficult for PayPal to accomplish this. While eBay sellers will thus not be burdened, I assume that eBay and/or PayPal will increase their fees to sellers for handling the sales tax collections and remittances.
I concur with this sentiment, and I do have some evidence to back it up. On May 31, I received an email from ebay asking me to sign a useless petition-the "last chance" to "make my voice heard". I disregarded it as absurd, since the Supreme Court makes decisions based on reasoned argument-not whining. It got my radar up however, because I forgot the Court was considering it, and I realized ebay had a dog in the fight in the from of seller backlash. Considering how expensive it is do business on ebay, combined with the risks-I firmly believe it is the administrators' responsibility to integrate the new tax initiatives into the site.