View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post
What has baffled me is hearing some sports Talking Heads question whether Thome is HOF worthy. While it is true that he was not a defensive star in his career, and will likely retire without a ring, that 600 Club is pretty serious business. Up until recently only three guys had a membership. Their names are Babe, Hank and Willie. You may have heard of them.

Unless someone can offer up some sort of reason to think that Thome is not clean I don't see how he isn't a first ballot selection. I think it would be wrong to hold him back because he played during the "steroid era". We've had plenty of mud slung. None has landed on Thome. Not from Canseco, or Caminiti, or the Mitchell Report.
Being from the Peoria, IL area, we have had this debate all day in the office. I think that Thome is a certain Hall of Famer, but not on the first ballot. I think that the first ballot should be reserved for the all-time greats of an era such as a Willie Mays, or a Ted Williams.

Fwiw, there have been strong rumors here, and I have seen some on the internet, that Thome may be traded to Phillies to reunite with Charlie Manuel for their playoff run. It makes sense on some levels, but you never know.