View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 08:19 AM
J@mes In.gram

I found Joe DiMaggio to be a true gentleman. Very nicely dressed, not drunk, and was able to talk to him for a few minutes. This was at the Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital in Hollywood, Florida at a fundraiser dinner. There was no money charged for his autograph. The ball he signed is an official American League ball, and he signed "Joe DiMaggio" and underneath "Yankee Clipper". You don't see many signed that way, and I am told he only did this at his hospital events. I think, and have been told, that if he thought you were someone only interested in flipping, he could be very cold. I believe I would be the same way. I found all the old baseball stars I had the pleasure to meet to be true gentleman like the stars they were...Joe DiMaggio, Bob Feller, Johnny Vander Meer, Whitey Ford. All very nice. I never had a bad experience. Incidentally, my father thought Joe DiMaggio to be the best all around ballplayer he ever saw. He could do it all...was a one man outfield, could hit in the clutch, everything. It was an honor for me to meet him. I have a Babe Ruth signed ball, and others, but the one I personally treasure the most is the Joe DiMaggio.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***