View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Glory of Their Times

I love this thread, and can't help but mention my thrilling experience of having co-produced and edited (with Neal McCabe, author of "Baseball's Golden Age: The Photographs of Charles M. Conlon") the audio version of Glory, published in 1998 and still available on Amazon. Other than becoming friends with Larry Ritter, I guess the biggest thrill of so many of them during the course of the project was the otherworldly experience of doing with Larry what he did with the players--sitting him down in his house for questions about his "playing days" so many years earlier, i.e., working on Glory, his relationship with the players, etc., which we fashioned into the introductions to the set and to each player segment. As for memorabilia, I did get Larry to sign a book for me, of course, and some other things, but I guess the most treasured would be the file of numerous letters, contracts, etc., signed by Larry and sent to me in the course of our work together. Funny, but I have never thought of that file as memorabilia until just now, reading this thread, since for so long it has been "just" a working file. Larry also gave us his collection of reel-to-reel tapes of his radio and TV promotional appearances with the players, the only copy of many of those extant, I'm sure.
Hank Thomas