View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Default 2009 Topps T206 100th Anniversary Set

Posted By: David Poses

I agree that this could be very good for the hobby. I'm with Leon in the "I don't care about baseball nowadays," but I also agree with the notion that if Topps went back to the standard issue concept it could lure some of us (although not me personally).

I remember getting out of cards altogether in the early 90s when there were like a bazillion sets and subsets and limited print runs of cards x, y and z- it became confusing and frustrating.

Vintage was always fascinating to me, but as a kid, on a limited budget, before the internet in the 80's, happening upon a T206 was extremely uncommon in spite of the many card shops near my house. I remember going to Dragons' Den in Yonkers in the early 90s and seeing a common, beat to hell T206 in a very thick screwdown holder, on a shelf in their display case with a price tag of $2500 on it. Mad at where the hobby was then, and sad that vintage was too out of reach, I walked away from baseball cards that day and didn't come back until a few years ago- and I have been collecting vintage exclusively ever since.

If Topps has their finger on the pulse, and if this set is a success it may occur to them that there is demand for simplicity. I'd love to see the hobby revert to the type of sets that prevailed in the 80s.