View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Val Kehl

Atari, nice find. As others have said, your Herps-Ruth card will fetch big $$. However, even though your group includes several other HOFers, I think you may be surprised as to how few $$ the other Herps cards will fetch. I say this because (1) 1921 Herps cards are too scarce for a collector to attempt to complete a set of them - scarcity often works against a card's value, (2) there are several other, identical, but scarcer 1921 issues - e.g., Leader Theatre, Haffner's Bread, Gassler's Bread, Clark's Bread, etc. that don't sell for all that much, and (3) most pre-War collectors (but not me) prefer the very colorful cards created by artists to the real-photo, black & white cards.

BTW, I'm thrilled to see that your find does not include a WaJo card, as I love having 1-of-1 cards. On the other hand, I'm saddened to note that your find includes a Sam Rice card. Oh well, one can't win them all!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.

Last edited by ValKehl; 02-23-2019 at 08:07 PM.