Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Graig Kreindler

Whoa! Has it been over a month since I posted something? Yikes.

Thank you for showing an interest Jason!! Sometimes I worry that I put this stuff up and just waste bandwidth.

So, I have these on the easel right now.

I'm currently finishing up this Wagner piece, and despite my best efforts, it's destroying my life. It's almost where I want it to be, but they're still some problems with that darn light, as well as the odd red of the ballpark. It's still hard for me imagine that the West Side Grounds were such a color at that point in the new century, but according to all the local newspapers of the day, it indeed was. They're also some curvature issues of the stands that need to be dealt with - they're an eye-sore!!

This Joe Jackson painting is just about done, as I only have a few things to work out in the background. I had to flesh out the white stands behind the fence, as they just appear as blurry blobs in the photo. Thankfully, I have a good amount of reference from the Polo Grounds during that year (1913).

This last one is turning out to be a lot of fun too, though there's a lot of research that still needs to be done. The scene is Cobb at bat on Opening Day of the 1908 season. The Tigers were playing the White Sox at the South End Grounds, which 20,000 piled onto the field to check out. Though Detroit lost the contest, Cobb had a hell of a game with a couple of hits and a home run. I also just love seeing action shots like this of the man, especially with that intense look of concentration. What's also interesting to consider about the image is that I have to paint uniforms that look new and pretty, what with being the first game of the season and all. I guess it's just weird for me to picture Tyrus Raymond Cobb in a uniform that DOESN'T have dirt on it.

Though, I'm still waiting on some microfilm to get information about the park and the such, so this is currently on hold until I can figure out exactly what's going on with those details. Man, these deadball era parks are TOUGH!!

Also, I've started a - dare I say it - golf painting. The shot is of Bobby Jones during the 1927 British Open, teeing off at the 17th hole at St. Andrews. It's a pretty busy image with a lot of crowd and beautiful light, but hopefully I'll be able to pull it off. Once I get more onto the canvas, I'll post something if you're all interested.

So, as usual, please excuse my godawful photography (which keeps getting worse and worse), and definitely feel free to throw crits/complaints/suggestions/Pop-Tarts my way!!!

Graig