View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default Anyone Know a Chet Woods?

Posted By: T206Collector

[A lot of people could call you a lemming too Paul, in fact you are one of the most hypocritical people I have ever read; I know we will never meet (you find that creepy).]

It's true. I find internet dating other baseball card collectors creepy. If you're comfy meeting internet folk, more power to you.

[You rag on the set registry people from PSA all the time, yet you belong to both PSA (#41) and SGC (#6) set registries huh? Kind of like ragging on people at a country club in which your are a member]

Stalk much? But seriously, I belong to PSA's registry to make two points -- (1) registries are misleading for population purposes; and (2) I like showing off my old PSA 6 Hal Chase pink portrait with the corner crease.

I love SGC's set registry for display and insurance purposes. My issue with the set registry game is people who think that if they own a PSA 8 Bob Unglaub with a 1 pop that it must mean they are the owner of the finest Bob Unglaub known to man.

[You refuse to buy any card of high grade and verbally stated multiple times that you believe many of those cards to be altered to achieve those higher grades. Yet you on multiple occasions you have shown/bragged about cards in which you have soaked cleaned etc (altered) to achieve higher grades, just not 6’s, 7’s, and 8’s.]

Careful now, we just have a dispute over what is an impermissible alteration. I subscribe to the school (also subscribed to by Leon and other respected collectors) that art erasing and soaking off gunk is not an impermissible alteration. I find trimming to be impermissible and believe, rightly or wrongly, that many PSA 7+ T206 cards have been trimmed.

[Even in the above statement you say that people buy the holder and the grade not the card. Once again on multiple occasions you have stated you are upgrading your set to a minimum grade of I believe SGC 40, sounds like someone’s collecting grades to me.]

I am. SGC grades. Not PSA grades. Favoring SGC over PSA is not hypocritical. I love grading. Can't get enough of it. Hating PSA doesn't make me hypocritical.

[Hey listen, I’m sure you’re a good guy.]

It's true, I am. But I'm just not tired of getting up on my SGC soapbox yet. The way I see it, I'm in the minority. As long as great people like Chet Woods are getting bashed for selling PSA slop, you want me on that soap box, you need me on that soap box....

[The whole SGC rules PSA sucks thing is even getting old for me at this point. And I don’t even do the graded card thing.]

Perhaps if you did the graded card thing it wouldn't be getting old for you at this point. And I'm sure there are scores of PSA collectors who hate to read this stuff. But I like SGC and I don't mind sharing my thoughts.

[P.S. They all screw up sometimes...]

Agreed, and admittedly so, I just think SGC gets it right more often.