View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default T206TheMonster.com

I hesitate to post this, as the timing makes it look 'competitive', but I assure you it is not; in fact, I am going out of my way to make sure that it is simply an expansion of my previous project - esoteric, creative, historical, with few (if any) stats. I will also be adding pages that focus on the overall history of the set, such as the booklet that Jerry provided (and that he has generously sent me scans for and given his approval of including on the website).

Part of what inspired me to get back into the hobby (other than getting over being broke for 7 years), was a career change with a focus on writing and creativity. I've written a couple of baseball history articles over the last few months, and had already updated my site to get rid of bugs - cards were simply a natural expansion of that. But I will admit that Tim's new site emphasized to me that I was just sitting on my butt with regards to moving forward on the old 'T206 Origins' project, so I've taken the first step: http://t206themonster.com/

So far you won't notice much other than a big change in formatting. However, the goal is to slowly build pages for every single card in the set, with hobbyists (board members) taking ownership of individual cards and either maintaining a page on their own server, or sending me information to update the page for them on my server. The key thing is that anyone who wants to get involved can be as creative as they want in researching the origins of a particular card - it's original photo, esoteric aspects (such as what I described with the dark cap Matty, the dove in the Ritchie background, the Abbaticchio partial 'G', etc., etc.). I will initially take on several of the cards myself, but please feel free to take them from me if you have interest. I look at this like a big painting with a lot of painters.

I did talk with Jim about possibly maintaining such a project on his site, subject to his template requirements, rules, etc....but unfortunately nothing came of it, for reasons that have already been beaten to death. His site is great, it's different, it's huge and wonderful. This is completely different. I will continue to visit his site often, enjoying the plethora of stats, which I am very in to.

Thanks and send an email or PM if you would like to 'own' a card(s) - only a few are taken so far and the ideas I've heard are great.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-07-2012 at 12:01 PM.