View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 11:10 AM
Michael Fried

Default White Back, Rounded Corner Lookalike Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
Mike - Maybe I'm missing something here - but it appears all your efforts are basically finalizing themselves in an attempt to tell Ted and anyone else that physically removed rounded corner bond bread Jackie Robinson cards from packages of bond bread - that they in fact did not. (bold claim) and that all the rounded corner cards that have been identified as Bond Bread cards are in fact Sports star subject cards.

Am I missing something? or is that ultimately what you're trying to say (VERY long-winded-ly)
Phikappapsi,

Do you deny the fact that two separate sets of 48 virtually identical cards with "white backs" and "rounded corners" have existed for more than 30 years? The sets I am referring to are: (1) the Bond Bread package insert set distributed one per bread package in 1947-48, and (2) the "Sport Star Subjects" set issued in four series of boxes of 12 different.

Why is it whenever I mention the two different sets, someone thinks I am criticizing Ted? I am not.

The thrust of Ted's initial issue in 2009 was to distinguish white back "rounded corner" cards of the Bond Bread package insert set from the "square corner," toned "brown back" cards of the Festberg find. At the time, many of the "brown back" cards were being identified by dealers and grading services alike as "1947 Bond Bread" package inserts when none of the "brown back" cards ever saw a Bond Bread package. Ted provided an easy way to distinguish the two sets by saying the Bond Bread package insert cards had white backs and rounded corners, and the Festberg cards had toned brown backs and square corners.

With the potential of more than 3,000 cards of each player in the Festberg find reentering the market after their initial release in the 1980s, Ted's 2009 distinction alone prevented many from paying outrageous prices for a higher grade Jackie Robinson "rookie" card than the price of an actual card that had come from a Bond Bread package.

Since Ted's initial post in 2009, most people who did not get caught in the trap being foisted in the marketplace about the cards of the Festberg find owe Ted a great deal of thanks for distinguishing between the two sets.

But, what started out as an excellent way to tell Bond Bread package insert apart from the Festberg find (white back & rounded corners vs. toned back & square corners) does not apply to distinguishing the Bond Bread package insert cards from the "Sport Star Subjects" cards.

A solution to the problem of distinguishing Bond Bread inserts from "Sport Star Subjects" cards is what I am trying to provide. The cards of both sets appear on their face to be virtually identical. That is not criticism of Ted. In fact I believe that Ted started this thread with the intent of separating all of the Bond Bread lookalikes from actual Bond Bread package inserts.

If one is only going to read my stuff thinking I am criticizing Ted, then one will miss the point and be caught in another misidentification trap in the marketplace.

Some people may not like what I write and others may have interests in protecting the value of misattributed cards they bought. But please, let us all get past personal issues and try to do what Ted intended -- show the differences between actual Bond Bread package inserts and its "impostors."

Original work Copyright 2020 by Michael Fried, P.O. Box 27521, Oakland, California 94602-0521. No claim to the original work of others.

Last edited by abctoo; 07-04-2020 at 11:13 AM.