Thread: January pickups
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 08:46 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsbessette View Post
A big one here. Very low grade, but helps me kill my 54 Bowman set.
You get to live up to your screen name now! So quick story about this card...I was 10 or 11 when I got my first baseball card price guide as a gift. It was either the first or second year that the Beckett/Eckes book came out, and my mom's boyfriend hoped it would help me turn the corner from thinking about my cards as a fun hobby to thinking about my cards as a way to make money (still has never happened...I am in for the fun all the way even today!).

The book had pictures of some of the most valuable cards in the hobby, one of which was this 1954 Bowman Ted Williams, which I think back then was presumed much more rare than perhaps it is today. In a way that didn't happen with the Wagner, Mantle, Lajoie, or other top cards, I saw the picture and thought, "Wow, that would be my dream card!"

35 years later, I still don't have it. Maybe someday though. Congratulations to you, Rob, on picking up such a great card! In my book, the Ted Williams Baseball Card HOF is probably...

1. 1954 Bowman
2. 1939 Play Ball
3. 1941 Play Ball
4. 1957 Topps
5. 1959 Fleer "How Ted Hit .400" (I know I just lost all credibility with this pick, but for some weird reason I am a huge fan of this Ted Williams "common.")

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/