View Single Post
Old 02-18-2024, 08:28 PM

In June of 1984, Roger Neufeldt, of Sports Memories, asked my brother and me to "baby sit" Bob Feller for a couple of hours. Roger needed to open his card store before taking Mr. Feller to the show he had come into town to sign at. Roger picked Mr. Feller up at the airport and drove him to the store. When they got out of the car, Roger introduced us and the first thing Mr. Feller said to us, as he pointed to a nearby Grandy's, was "are you boys hungry." We walked over to the restaurant and sat with Mr. Feller for almost 2 hours as he signed a couple of autographs for us and told stories about pitching to the likes of Ted Williams. The part of the conversation I remember the most was when he talked about spending almost 3 years on the USS Alabama BB-60. He didn't regret it, he was proud of it and said he would do all over again. When it was time to go, Mr. Feller opened up his brief case and gave me an autographed photo and a couple of Cleveland Indians stickers that I still have to this day. And that was it. And best of all, Mr. Feller paid for breakfast.