View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Default GAI - What GRADE IS THIS?

Posted By: Anonymous

YOU:
We could do this pathetic little stunt you are doing with Beckett too. With every company you can find examples that are overgraded AND ungraded.

ME:
WITH EVERY COMPANY??? WELL, I WILL BE.....I THOUGHT THAT WAS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY BECKETT ISN'T A CONTENDER.....SO IN ACTUALITY, ALL GRADING COMPANIES MAKE MISTAKES....oh, ok...

I agree with most of you, that Beckett isn't a contender because they are too tough for dealers...that is also why, as someone suggested here earlier that no one would break a slab to send to beckett...of course not...but the other way around sure!

If I was a dealer, I OBVIOUSLY WOULDN'T SEND VINTAGE to BECKETT EITHER. More expensive, lesser grade...you do the math...of course they will never be a contender. But, that gives me all the more reason to "buy" the NICE BVG cards when they come available. I wouldn't be surprised if the person who bought the Jackie Robinson BVG 5 for $1100 had it reslabbed a PSA 7 and sold for $5000.

YOU:
So your little exercize is pointless. Now, if you can show a 100 or more examples of cards like this, then you have a legitimate gripe. Until then, give it a rest.

ME:
Well, I only have about 20 examples so far. but I have only spent about 1 hr looking.

YOU:
You obviously have your reasons for like Beckett.

ME: I never stated that I agree with their standard. It is simply obvious that I would rather have that BVG5 Jackie Robinson than that GAI 5 whoever...

YOU:
That's fine, but don't come here trying to sound like you know what you are talking about when you constantly put your foot in your mouth.

ME: I still don't believe I have. I am just in a room of "beckett haters". If you tried going to a forum of "beckett lovers" and stating how much better PSA is than Beckett, you would have the same fun...

Fortunately for me, I have BECKETT, PSA, SGC and GAI in my collection, and do not fall in any "biased" role.

The only thing that I am aware of, that I have been corrected on, is that PSA is less than 20 years old.

YOU:
Everyone has their reasons for prefering a particular grading company. Most poeple here prefer SGC becuase of the knowledge in the vintage card area, consistant, if harsh, grading and the attractive holders. Being realists, many slab their cards with PSA if they plan on reselling them because they currently command a premium. Whether or not this holds true in the future is yet to be seen.

ME:
I like SGC too, so I have no debate there.

YOU:
But do give the whole "I love Beckett" and "what should this grade" a rest. It's been overdone and tiresome and Beckett has no presence in vintage card market, so it has no real relavence here.

ME:
Did I ever say "I LOVE BECKETT"? I said there cards are graded tougher, and if I can get a nice BVG for a good price, I will buy it!! I believe that they cost the ENTIRE vintage baseball collector community money with their implemented grading structure. Fortunately for me, my collection is relatively small and wasn't affected dramatically...I am just dealing with "change".