View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting Exclusive Series of the T206 Set

Posted By: Scot Reader

Hi Ted,

I have studied the fronts/backs of over 20,000 T206s and I am confident of my findings. Bill Heitman did amazing work especially considering there was no Internet in those days but The Monster's checklist has shortcomings which I think even Bill has acknowledged on this board. As two examples, there are certain subjects listed as 350/460 subjects in The Monster that are actually 350-only [I refer to Bender (Trees), Fiene (Portrait), Fiene (Throwing) and in all likelihood Dahlen (Brooklyn)]. There are other subjects listed as 350/460 in The Monster that are actually 460-only subjects [I refer to Abbaticchio (Blue Sleeves), Kleinow (Boston), Latham, Meyers (Portrait), Overall (Hands at Waist), Schaefer (Washington), F. Smith (Chicago & Boston), Tannehill (Chicago No "L") and Tinker (Bat On)].

My conclusions are not based solely on the absence of these subjects in certain series over the 20,000+ sample. For example, I didn't conclude that Latham is a 460-only subject just because I never saw Latham with a 350 back. My conclusions are also confirmed by the presence these subjects with a set of backs that is characteristic of a particular series. For example, I have seen Latham with Cycle 460, Sovereign 460 and Sweet Cap 460/30, three backs which over the 20,000+ sample ONLY appeared on the 49 460-only subjects and the 6 350/460 superprinted subjects that I referenced in my earlier email. It is Latham's presence with these three backs, as well as his absence with any 350 back, that led me to conclude that Latham is a 460-only subject.

Scot