View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
There was a lot of discussion a few pages back about player photo pennants - most commonly seen, I think, in Twins, Cubs, Angels and Dodgers. When I joined this board a few months ago, I had just acquired a Giants pennant that had never been seen before by myself or my fellow Giants collectors. I got it cheap with a Buy It Now.

I started a thread on it:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...viously+unseen

In the end, the seller told me this:

"The pennant is from the 1950's or 1960's it was in a storage room at WinCraft in Winona, MN. I received it from a relative who was cleaning out an old store room. I received it in 1982 but it is much much older. The other pennants with that look are from the late 1950's and early 1960's. For example I've seen a MN Twins pennant w/ a Harmon Killabrew card in it."

Mark (perezfan) told me he equates Wincraft with stiff modern pennants (as did I) but the company has apparently been around since 1961.

What makes it different from every other player photo pennant seen in this thread is the fact that mine is 30" long whereas all others seem to be 20" or 23". Mike Egner's book DOES mention a Mark Fidrych that is full sized...
I don't believe the Fidrych pennant was made by wincraft or related in any way to these earlier pennants. I wouldn't get stuck on the full size difference with this pennant versus the others. Did you ever post a photo of the back of your Mays pennant? Every one from these groups is clearly labeled with manufacturer, etc.

All of the smaller ones are very rare and if this was made by Wincraft or a subsidiary, it wouldn't surprise me if they also made a larger one. Wincraft did make larger team photo pennants. The biggest problem is that a lot of these are almost one of a kind with little to compare with.

Btw, the Mays pennant is awesome in any condition.