Thread: Ridiculous
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
wasn't so much pujols was playing with better players, but everyone was juiced out of their mind. war takes into account the era you play in, the park you play at, and the position you play. if you just compare flatly ped luis gonzalez stats they would dwarf mike trout's...and that wouldn't be fair. or if you take peak-ped bret boone you'd say he's an equal player to dead era nap lajoie, which would be ludicrous.

pujols first 5 year production is measured against the average production of other 1b in the ped era...hence Win Above Replacement level....that bar is set pretty high. mike trout being a cf is measured against other weaker hitting cf'ers of today. so pujols fantastic 2001-2006 stats only translates to 8-9war. if pujols was putting up those stats today and he plays cf his war would be ruthian-like.

having said all that if the seller is getting 200k+ on the card he should take it...trout doesn't have the most dynamic personality and playing for the angels he will never have the national spotlight to drive a modern card like lebron. there's always the chance the card could fetch 500k one day, but the odds is better that it won't. but if it's my card i would keep it so i'd have a rooting interest for the greatest baseball career thus far.

Actually I don't believe WAR is comparing to other everyday major league players at your position, but to callups isn't it (i.e. AAA)? I think WAA (Wins Above Average) is the major league comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk