View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Paul

Default Leaps of Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
It is just part of the leap of faith you take with autograph collecting.
I just want to try another approach here. I don't think it's a leap of faith, per se, if there is a market for PSA/DNA authenticated autographs.

Put another way -- if 10 people would buy a PSA/DNA autographed Babe Ruth baseball for $1,000, but only 5 people would buy a PSA authenticated Babe Ruth card for $500, then the market for the ball is better and you are more likely -- at least in the short term -- to be able to recover your investment.

That is really how I look at autograph collecting. I am not overly concerned with genuine authentic certainty to 100%. In the end, my opinion of whether a signature is authentic is totally meaningless anyway at the time it comes to part with the item (remember, we're not taking any of this memorabilia with us). As long as there remains a market for what I collect, and I can recoup my investment when its time to sell, then I am quite comfortable collecting autographed items -- signed pre-war cards in particular. PSA/DNA or JSA/BVG basically provide sufficient consumer confidence at this time to make autograph collecting a sustainable pursuit.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206