View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 12:01 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Is the Cobb Green really much harder to find though? It is available any time you wish to buy it from my experience. I don't think the same is true of the Mantle and each time the Mantle comes up for auction it's always a featured lot.
On ebay there are currently 34 52 Topps Mantles and 8 T206 green Cobbs (only counted graded copies to assure legitimacy).

Between just those two cards I would take the Cobb. As mentioned Mantle (more specifically the 52 Topps Mantle) is over-hyped by good publicity. Three points were used in this publicity that are all myths.
1) He was the best player - Mays can be argued to be better, even if you don't agree the fact that the argument can be made shows they are at least comparable
2) It is his rookie - It isn't. That would be 1951 Bowman. Even if you argue it is his "Topps Rookie" then explain why the 1958 Topps Musial isn't described as such? Even though he too would be considered a better player by people.
3) It is a high number in a popular set - It is a high number, but there is evidence that it was double printed which reverses the "high number" scarcity concept.

At the end of the day it is TOPPS first iconic card. Since they are still in business and the only authorized distributor of Topps cards they keep pushing this card through reprints and other advertising. If MLB does what NBA and NFL did and ever change to Panini (Topps contract is up in 2020) it is possible they will lose this persuasive stature.

Since Cobb should all ready be smoothed out on prices his cards will continue at the same pace all other cards will within the t206 set. I believe it is the safer buy. If you are the riskier buyer Mantle could have the more upside, but you don't want to be the one left holding the bag in the end.