View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 03:22 AM
Michael Fried

Thanks, David. I could see no better when I tried to blow up those box pictures. Perhaps, someone out there who has a box or other picture of the indicia would help us out by posting a scan? David, the Sport Star Subjects set box issues are not new to you. For example, in Posts #123 and #126 of 08-02-2016, you pictured a similar box for the "Navy Ships" set, that set and promotional material of it. Those pictures clearly show the box and promotional item are inscribed with the name of A.J. Wildman & Son of New York. It would have been easy to let it go at that. Your posts also explained why that was not the solution to identifying the Sport Star Subjects set.

I am a collector, but not just a collector of baseball cards. My analysis of what the box indicia say comes from when I was a teenager in the 1960s starting to build a postal history collection including 19th Century congressional free franking covers. I am just now in the process of selling that collection off. That meant I had to learn how to decipher many a scrawled hand- written signature that on its face appeared unreadable. I still cannot get them all, even though complete alphabetical lists and chronological lists of each two year session of Congress are readily available. Just like many of the sets and their cards lumped together under the "Bond Bread" label, we have pictures of some and descriptions of others, but that is insufficient to even adequately describe that we can hold in our hands or even see.

The next post in this thread of my articles on Bond Bread and associated sets will identify the copyright holder of the sports pictures shown in the many of those sets, and how that company not only had the facilities to reproduce 7,000 to 10,000 glossy photographs from a single negative in a day, but handled 100s, if not 1,000s of negatives daily, routinely distributing box loads of prints by train, truck and other methods. The attribution of the Team Photo Packs sold in ballparks will be made to that company based on the empirical evidence gathered, even though none of us saw what happened and we have no contracts or invoices identifying anything.

The 1948 Bowman set includes a cropped version of at least one of the pictures used in the 1947 Homogenized Bond Bread package insert set. That's 1948 Bowman #43 Bruce Edwards. Does the counter-top sign I posted yesterday which indicates each large loaf Bond Bread package would have both a Bond Bread card and bubble gum inside mean that the 1947 Homogenized Bond Bread package insert set should considered the rookie set of the Bowman Company? Even if it were the same gum as Bowman's, I don't think so. But anyone out there can help in identifying the sets by posting any information or comments they might have about the question of whether there was bubble gum inside the Bond Bread packages.

Thank you very much,

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 05-19-2020 at 05:30 AM.