View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

The images on authentic cards are not cropped; they are shifted, either up and to the right, or down and to the left. That is why the quality is maintained in the image.

The fakes are cropped on three sides, squeezed together, which is why the quality was lost. Apparently the fakers had to do it that way.

The image of FKW's card was referred to as fake before because it looked cropped. It wasn't cropped, just shifted up and to the right.

Three sides are squeezed together on fakes, as FKW mentioned. He was incorrect about all cards with small numbers being fake, but it appears he was right when he said small card numbers should not be accompanied by bold print.

When it boils down to it, authentic 1928 Ruth Candy cards should be easy to spot in that the image will definitely be poor due to constriction of the image.

I'll leave the pictures and labels as is for the sake of the timeline and so anyone reading can see how we reached conclusions.

Ok, shift isn't quite right either:

1. The high quality cards like Leon's appear to have a shift or crop on one side only, but the other three sides remain fully intact.

2. The lesser quality cards have a shift or crop on two sides, which is what FKW's card has, and Howard's too it seems.

3. My two sepia colored cards seem to have the same amount as Leon's.

I'll put some side by side tonight, hard to tell on my phone, but its going to be something like that.

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 05-15-2012 at 03:34 AM.