Thread: Wirephotos
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Default Wirephotos

Posted By: davidcycleback

As a collector, I prefer vintage originals and that's generally what I stick to. I have a few examples where the famous photographer printed it later, but prefer vintage. Wirephotos are collectible as vintage historical artifacts, but aren't what I collect as the images are second generation. Not saying what's right or wrong, just what I prefer. And, for every collecting rule there are exceptions, as I might come across a wirephoto that catches my fancy.

For photos that have great crystal clear images, are vintage and original, you never regret owning those.

I think a good place for the prospective collector to start are George Burke photos, as he was a famous photographer, he photographed loads of players, his images are of consistent high quality (clear, rich tones, etc) and he stamped his name & Belmont Ave Chicago address on the backs for easy identification. A photo with his stamp address is vintage. Also, they're plentiful enough that a collector will find them and won't have to pay an arm and a leg.