View Single Post
Old 05-05-2023, 03:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I'm vaguely familiar with the Wagner/Plank Sheet, but do you have a link to the post that summarizes this story. Also correct me if I'm wrong, did Rosen ever find an uncut sheet of 52 topps and then cut them himself? I can't remember. Thank you,
The Wagner/Plank sheet is a part of hobby myth at this point. Pat made a great thread to try and peer through he mist to see what could be actually ascertained not too long ago, as if the questions of this sheet could be resolved it would be immensely valuable to research projects about the printing and layouts: https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...6+Wagner+sheet. This thread has a lot of good questions, contains what is known (alongside some digressions into other uncut sheets like the T204 Ramly sheet that was destroyed), and a lot of myth, conspiracy theories that the cards are outright fakes, and in some parts outright demonstrable lies about the sourcing of material. Michael O'Keefe's book "The Card" presents Rob Lifson's view of the Wagner and Plank cards and their discovery.

The short version is that the top slabbed Wagner (the same one Mastro pled guilty to trimming without disclosure that some people really want to deny) and Plank came from a sheet, supposedly. This is almost certainly a misnomer, as the find does not indicate a full sheet of cards based on what we know of T card printing. Presumably it is actually partially panels or strips. They must have been cut down from something. Almost everything said specifically relies on a single witness' testimony at each part, and so the truth is largely a mystery with everybody's agenda dictating their outcomes. There probably was some sort of uncut material here to birth these cut out cards.