View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Default Premier Collectible Conference & Exhibition

Posted By: David Davis

Jim C wrote - "Well--Bruce Dorskin advocated something along these lines and was ridiculed for it but here it is."

Doesn't seem like the ridicule would stop with Bruce. The unenthusiastic response by this board speaks volumes. To me it seems like another card show attended by auction houses (and in this case sponsored by one) and grading companies.

From the conference website - "In addition to facilitating intimate interaction between collector and collectible source, the PCCE will bring collectible leaders together to enhance the perception of the industry. Most experts agree that the collectibles industry, like most industries, has some negative aspects and a few less than reputable players. But because of the industry's explosive growth, the indiscretions of the few have had a tendency to overshadow the many positive developments overall. The PCCE will function as a quasi think tank hosted by an elite group of collectible leaders on the forefront of the industry's evolution who are actively committed to promoting its new professionalism, integrity and business acumen."

Considering that quite a few of the less than reputable players will be attending, it will be interesting to see what comes out of this elitist lovefest.

I still feel this board is a clear voice and sanctuary for the average collector, where price is not always a consideration. Of course if you can afford it, and want the best, that is fine. However, even though money talks, I don't think the top % of collectors and buyers/investors in this hobby/business, can outweigh the remaining people in the hobby.

Three more thoughts:
1)REA once again stands head and shoulders above the rest by not attending. Although I am passing judgment on it prior to the conference even beginning, I would think that Rob thought long and hard before deciding not to attend, or was not invited at all. Either way, the conference loses credibility by him not being there.

2)Will the MEARS/auction houses audit requirement be addressed? Seems like a key issue. Since the only company that signed on (REA) will not be attending, I wonder if this will be discussed at all.

3) Where are the card companies? You have dealers, auction houses, grading companies, authentication companies, publishers, etc. I would think the card companies could contribute something.