View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Default What Is The Best Way To Cut Strip Cards?

Posted By: David Smith

I say even if the sheet IS damaged to just leave them as they are.

At this point in history, how many uncut sheets of cards can be left? Even if damaged, the historical value has to be great and each passing year, I suspect, the monetary value of uncut sheets will also increase.

Collectors today pretty much know all there is to know about Topps and Bowman cards from the 1940's and 1950's because of company records and uncut sheets of cards. That can NOT be said about MOST pre-war cards.

I mean, just think how NICE it would be if the American Tobacco Company would have left specific information about the T206 cards and their printing process? Just think if they would have left specific info in their comapny records about the size of each sheet and hwo many cards were on each sheet. Even better, just think if they would have left uncut sheets for each print run?

Though there might not be as many people who collect strip cards as T206 cards, I am pretty sure those that do would LOVE to have as much info as possible about them including what uncut sheets looked like, the size of the sheets, how many cards were on each sheet and what subjects were on the sheet.

So, my opinion is, leave the sheet as is, even if damaged. If you want high grade strip cards, then SELL your uncut sheet (hopefully to a collector who will keep them uncut) and then go out and BUY high grade strip cards from this set. That way, you keep the historical value of the sheet AND you get the high grade strip cards that you want.

David