View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Steve, I'm sorry. We have a lot in common. My work precludes me from taking much time off. When I went to the big Willow Grove show in the fall of 1988, I was only able to go because my family and I were visiting friends in Indiana. I never could have done that, living as we were in South Dakota. Within one night, I spent all the money I had brought. I went the following day, looking around, seeing all kinds of cards and items I would want to buy. Speaking to a dealer about an item I wanted from him, when he ascertained I was broke, aside from the funds I needed to get back to Indiana, he quietly asked me, "WHAT are you doing here?" He wasn't trying to humiliate me, or shame me, but I soon walked out of the show.

Going to the National today, I would not have had enough to do any serious buying, and why go if the stuff you really enjoy is way out of your range? I guess at my age, I am accepting this fact of life. Perhaps I would enjoy browsing and admiring.

Perhaps.

Anyway, I sincerely apologize to you for my chiding, though I hope you know my tone was "Ah, come on, buddy, you can do this...." There really can be long periods when, "No buddy, I cannot do this."

At least we both have a collection we can still enjoy and admire.

Have a peaceful day, mate. ----Brian Powell
I've been in such circumstances at past Nationals, Brian, and what I've done is ask for a business card from a dealer who has something I want but don't have the funds for with me at that time. More than once, I have called that dealer, he still had the item and I arranged to purchase it.

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry