View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Steve, I'm sorry. We have a lot in common. My work precludes me from taking much time off. When I went to the big Willow Grove show in the fall of 1988, I was only able to go because my family and I were visiting friends in Indiana. I never could have done that, living as we were in South Dakota. Within one night, I spent all the money I had brought. I went the following day, looking around, seeing all kinds of cards and items I would want to buy. Speaking to a dealer about an item I wanted from him, when he ascertained I was broke, aside from the funds I needed to get back to Indiana, he quietly asked me, "WHAT are you doing here?" He wasn't trying to humiliate me, or shame me, but I soon walked out of the show.

Going to the National today, I would not have had enough to do any serious buying, and why go if the stuff you really enjoy is way out of your range? I guess at my age, I am accepting this fact of life. Perhaps I would enjoy browsing and admiring.

Perhaps.

Anyway, I sincerely apologize to you for my chiding, though I hope you know my tone was "Ah, come on, buddy, you can do this...." There really can be long periods when, "No buddy, I cannot do this."

At least we both have a collection we can still enjoy and admire.

Have a peaceful day, mate. ----Brian Powell
No worries Brian!

I didn't want you or anyone else thinking that I had anything against the National, or any big show in any hobby. And it usually takes a lot to really bother me. (Usually, I've had my moments....)

One thing I've long thought that card/memorabilia shows are missing is displays. While the demographic certainly skews older, the huge stamp shows and many small ones all have displays that show a particular aspect of collecting. At most shows they're competitive, with prizes to be had for having a display that meets certain goals and explains something really well.

The ones at the international stamp show were amazing, and would have been worth going just to see them even if I didn't buy anything.
I did get a few things though, and a bit of an education on why the really big dealers are really big. I found one stamp I needed at the booth of one of the very big dealers. Like he had a booth he'd paid I think somewhere into the 6 figures for. Around 20x 30 ft, all locking cabinets surrounded by display cases, with usually 3-4 stamps in a 4 foot long case. The "cheap" ones were 5-6000 And some of them were over 100,000. The very attentive employee asked if he could help me, and I told him I didn't think he had anything I needed that I could also afford but I was enjoying the booth. He simply said "well, you should try us, we have stamps for all budgets" So I said I needed an O58s, and he went into a cabinet and brought out a small box saying "we have a few in here" ....Yes, about 10 copies of something I'd looked for a nice one at a nice price for maybe a year and a half. All priced very reasonably. Totally pleasant experience, and the guy dealing with regular sales over 10K made my $50 buy seem just as important. The other guy he helped while I picked out which one I wanted had selected about 15K of stuff while I was standing next to him. and was still looking after I'd finished!

The GBSCC show had a few displays one year, but it didn't go any farther than that.

Steve B