View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Default About soaking cards

Posted By: Brian Weisner

I can only speak for T206's, but I know of at least 4000+ cards which have been found since the late 80's that are in Ex+ or better condition. Are some cards in holders trimmed or doctored, yes, but in my opionion a very small percentage. The fact is that there are plenty of T206's out there in 80/6 or better condition that have not be tampered with, but I can't speak to Caramels or other tough issues, because there distribution numbers compared to T206's is so small.

Be well Brian

PS soaking OJ'S and early trade cards has been an excepted practice for several decades, so I don't see what the big fuss is about. Soaking won't magically erase creases, but will restore a card to it's original state.
I don't think anyone on the board thinks that rebuilding a corner or adding a color to a card is an acceptable practice.

Jim, You can dectect whether a card has been soaked or not, and I doubt that many of the PSA/SGC 8'S HAVE been. I have about 15-20 7's and 8's slabbed by PSA and another 20+ slabbed by SGC and will guarentee that none have been altered in any way. 90% were purchased from original find's and the other 10% over an extended period of time.