View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Couldn’t it be possible that these strip cards had a very low budget and there was no such thing as a “quick turnaround”? Maybe they had players chosen and pictures provided by mid-1930 and it took until the following year before they were published. Or maybe even more likely is that the manufacturer waiting until their other stock ran out and by then it was 1931. Hard to prove. Maybe Barry can recall if he bought them in 1930 or 1931.
Let's leave Barry's early 1930's purchasing habits out of this conversation. But seriously, you make valid points. First of all, if you check out the images they are typically from an earlier time, as many cards feature players in uniforms from teams they were on prior to the one identified on the card. I guess that all that my research can conclusively prove is that they were not produced until early 1930, and that the variations must have been produced after April of 1932.

It is possible that all the cards were not produced until 1932. I still think, however, that my evidence points to an original production of these cards in 1930, which of course assumes a somewhat timely production and the belief that the makers cared enough about putting out cards with relatively up to date player team identification.

Your points are valid, and unless we get Barry to talk, we might never know.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 05-27-2018 at 08:08 PM.