Thread: April Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 12:30 PM

REGARDING "MY WIFE AND THE 56 MICK":

Dear Carl,

Truly, I thank you for opening up and sharing the whole episode of your trip to Cooperstown, climaxed by the last minute decision by your wife to commence negotiating for that 1956 Topps Mantle! That's precious. You know, sometimes a card will carry an extra large measure of sentiment based upon the story of how you acquired the piece. I feel this one will always have a special glow for you. Further, a sense of, "How much does my wife love me?" Whenever you look at that card, you will often be reminded of your wife's love to you.

Interesting. Twenty-six years ago, prior to a Mr. Mint phone auction, I broke down and told my wife how very, very badly I wanted a certain Mickey Mantle card that he was auctioning. I sensed it was a chance of a lifetime. Ultra rare in high grade. Ultra beautiful. Ultra expensive. We talked over how we could fund it, if I won it. I will never forget her tender understanding of the situation, her compassion towards my feelings and thoughts.

As it turned out, I won the rare Mantle. I have always remembered and have been thankful to God for His help to win the card, and to my wife for her encouragement to fight for it. Without her support, I doubt that I would have pursued it as vigorously as I did, and thus would have lost out. Indeed, it has also turned out exactly as I sensed---the chance of a lifetime.

Wishing you and your darlin' the very, very best. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 05-02-2014 at 12:32 PM.