View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm not sure there's any one thing that would be a deal breaker for me.

I have backed way off on poor condition commons of some sets now that I can afford VG or sometimes better. But if the price was right I'd still buy them.

Certain types of sellers are a put off too. Given a choice I'll spend my money with someone I like or respect. But I have and will sometimes buy from sellers I don't like. There were a few flea market guys like that, obnoxious and clueless. But sometimes they underpriced things far enough to be worth dealing with them.

Like the guy that argued up and down that I didn't want the shopping bag full of early 70's football and hockey when I asked the price. he absolutely insisted that I should want some rookie card. I think it was Gooden. Eventually he gave in and said the whole bagful was $2. Nice stuff and a few nearly complete sets.

My stock answer to offers of stuff I didn't want was "I think I have that". One guy came to believe that I was a bigtime collector/dealer. When I mentioned I might setup to sell a few things I didn't want he began offring me boxes of new stuff to stay away. ---Yeah, it was probably "wrong" but I took the freebies when he offered. made up for it by sellling a little kid as many commons as he could grab in both hands for 5 cents when I eventually did setup.

Steve B