Thread: PayPal issue
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan View Post
Seemingly out of the blue, PayPal suddenly said there were "account limitations" on my PayPal account, and I needed to verify my ID before they could let me use certain products and features. (After checking, it appears that there are no products or features I cannot use, so I don't know what "limitations" there actually may be.) More importantly, for ID verification, PayPal asked me to scan my Passport or Social Security card (among other very personal ID documents).

This seems incredibly fishy to me, and the paradigmatic way to phish, but I have looked at the Paypal site from several different ways, and it all seems to actually be part of PayPal's site and on my account. I have written to Customer Service about this, but has anyone else had this happen??
Did you receive this notice via email, or did they reqeust your SSN after you were logged into your Paypal account?

I have had them request more info, including my SSN, when I was sending someone money via Paypal and logged into the Paypal site. It was only after I reduced the amount I was sending that they let me send the actual payment without providing my SSN.

In other words, I have seen first hand a legitimate request from Paypal for my SSN, which I agree is unnecessary in most cases.