View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Ok, so I have 2 books coming from Amazon, but I have a question that's really bugging me. Lou (or anyone else please) can you answer this: I have 3 round gold base baseball bobbleheads from late 60's early 70's...in fact, the Reds gold base in Lou's photo is just like one of them, anyway, do all of the ones from that "series" have round gold bases, or do some have gold square bases? Is it the color or the base shape that determines the series/years? Thanks
As far as baseball goes (I know nothing about the other sports), it is mostly color that determines the year, but some overlap of bases/colors can muddy the waters a bit. White or "color" square bases were first (early 1960's). Green round bases were the next "run" in the mid-1960s. Gold round bases were the last run.

In the picture I attached, there are a few that don't fit perfectly with my prior description. These are the 4th and 5th from left in the bottom row (color is not the usual) and the 1st, 2nd and 6th from left in the second row (heads are from other series). Without a super long explanation, these are either a) an amalgamation of parts from the factory or b) done as one series transitioned to the next. The far left in the top row is same, as it is either the head from a green base or the transition from green to gold.

I have never seen a gold square base, maybe because gold and square were not consecutive series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1426.jpg (77.3 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 08-30-2017 at 11:31 AM.