Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Thanks again for all of your opinions regarding that Ruth study - it's nice to have feedback on something that's been sitting in the dark for a couple of months.

Hopefully, everybody on the east coast wasn't terribly effected by Irene. Luckily, things weren't too bad in our part of Brooklyn. So, after a bunch of working this weekend, I feel like I've accomplished something. Well, not much, but a start.

For starters, I just got these back from the photographers today:

Derek Jeter, 2000

Eddie Bennett, 1921

Pat Collins, 1926

Lou Gehrig, 1936

Though I had painted the same image a couple of years back, I had to do the Gehrig over unfortunately, the reason which doesn't make me happy. Though, I suppose at the new size (16" x 20"), it could be a cool start to a project depicting portraits of the '36 Yanks and Giants - something I've had in the back of my head for a while now. I figure in the end, it will encompass about 50 paintings, and in the end, could hopefully be displayed in some gallery somewhere as a set. Or, two sets. So, I guess that's where my spare spare time is going to be spent...

Already next on the list is Mr. Ruffing, which is currently in progress:

Red Ruffing, 1936

After that, I have to take this guy to the photographers in a week or so, after some glazes and a varnish:

Stan Musial, 1942

The Musial is also 16" x 20" and I must say, I REALLY dig that size for portraits like this. It just seems super comfortable, and the heads end up being about 3/4 life sized, which is pretty ideal.

And the big guy on the easel, the one that needs to be done by the end of the week:

Babe Ruth, November 4, 1934

The Bambino is taking part of a pre-game home run derby of sorts, before the start of an exhibition game. Actually, it was the first contest for the U.S. team during their famous tour of Japan, with this scene taking place at Meiji Jingu Stadium.

The canvas is GINORMOUS. I think the final size ends up being about 50" x 64", and since I'm using a different kind of stretcher bar for something this large, it feels like it weighs about 300lbs...well, maybe not that much...but it's hard to move!!

Anywho, I hope you guys dig 'em. As per usual, excuse my cruddy photography on those last few. And comments/crits/problems/tomatoes are always appreciated!

Thanks,

Graig