Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Graig Kreindler

Wow, guys. Thank you SO much. This was exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm definitely on the same page as all of you, as it's pretty hard for me to do a quick sketch and call it 'finished'. That has a lot to do with the fact that I can show a lot of OCD when it comes down to the kind of minutia some of these paintings demand. Additionally, beyond feeding into those obsessions, I think those little things are what really make the pictures fun to me. Well, the whole thing is really fun, but you know what I mean. I guess since I end up doing so much research regarding weather, advertisement colors, game situations and everything in-between, I feel like I just yearn to show it all.

And in a way, I feel like most baseball enthusiasts want to see it all. I mean, not in my paintings per se, but in whatever they collect. I think that's one of the reasons the game is so wonderful: their history just becomes so strict, that if done 'right', all of that minutia is able to evoke a specific era that much more.

Now, I don't intend on making a habit of doing these sketches for any purpose other than for color studies, so none of you will have to worry about me changing my approach or anything. Not that you're worried. But you know what I mean. Perhaps when I'm older and can't really get as tight as I want to be, things will become more expressive. Until then I'll be keepin' it tight!!

Thanks again,

Graig