View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default Greatest card ever? Read it and weep

Posted By: Chris Counts

I realize this is a little off-topic, but I think it's close enough. I just came across an advertisement for the latest "product" Topps is hyping. They're calling it "possibly the greatest card ever." Here's the text ...

"On October 11th, Topps will release one of the most stunning baseball card products ever produced – Topps Sterling Baseball.

Not only will Topps Sterling include a “player-touched” Autographed Relic or Relic (all cards feature 3 or more relic pieces) numbered to 10 or less, but it will feature what may turn out to be one of the most coveted trading cards in the modern hobby era.

Several months ago, Topps announced it had signed an exclusive deal with the legendary slugger Josh Gibson’s estate. Topps also announced that it had purchased one of two known Josh Gibson game model bats. Since, Gibson Bat Relic cards have been issued in Topps Triple Threads and will also be highlighted in Topps Allen & Ginter.

But, Topps tucked away the most treasured part of the bat, so it could create Gibson’s ultimate trading card. And now for the first time, Topps offers a taste of its upcoming product with a sneak peek at the Topps Sterling Josh Gibson Bat Barrel 1/1 Relic Card.

More details to come on the all-new Topps Sterling Baseball."

I realize collectors are split on the merits of cards like these. Personally, I am horrified at the thought of someone slicing up one of two known Josh Gibson bats. I guess it's only a matter of time before the folks at Topps figure out a way to embed each of Ty Cobb's false teeth into a limited edition series of cards ...