View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default most overrated player and pitcher

Posted By: jay behrens

Show me where I've dismissed what Koufax did during his 5 years of greatness? I even admitted to it my last post. You obviously didn't read my post. Go back and reread it. And Forrest wonders why I repeat myself so much.

For you, greatness seems to include 7 years of being a .500 pitcher (he was one game over .500 after 7 years). You can have it. To me, and many others, you can't be great if you can't win half your games for a 6 year stretch. It took Johnson 4 years before he broke .500. At least with him you know he pitched for crappy teams. Meanwhile, he won the triple crown 3 times and won the MVP award twice. What's Koufax's excuse? The Dodgers were pretty good from 1955-60. I seem to remember a few WS appearances and a title in there. Using your criteria for greatness can we include Ken Williams and Benny Kauff as some of the greatest hitters ever? I know I wouldn't and love both of those players.

There is a huge difference between between peak value greatness and career greatness. Johnson, Matty, Alexander, Grove, etc have both. Koufax has one. Thus, he doesn't belong in a discussion of the truly greats.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.