View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Seth

Joe, thanks for your reply. The Mono cards were not issued between 1909-11 by the American Tobacco Company, and they were not distributed in tobacco products made by the ATC. Same with our fictitious Abbaticchio back: if it had a white border, was made by the ATC, and was included as part of ATC tobacco products, then yes, I would include it. Does that make sense, I don't just consider the white border sufficient: ATC cards made during those years with a gold border are designated (again, by Jefferson Burdick's rubric) T205. So, there are several factors, and now that the Cobb/Cobb seems to have fulfilled Burdick's factors, I think it belongs under the classification he designated for cards with such characteristics.

Again: my congrats to Jon as I think that noticing the tobacco on the back proves in my mind that these were distributed with tobacco products just like other cards under the T206 heading.

No one who reads my posts will be surprised to see me bring it up, but this is like the T209 cards: under Jefferson Burdick's designation, cards issued by the Contentnea tobacco company and distributed with their products during 1910 are listed under the classification T209. Now, some of those cards are color some are black and white, and so we have T209 I and T209 II, but I don't think anyone would want to make T209 IIs into an entirely separate set just because one is color and one is black and white.

Edited to say: Marshall Chicago206 Chao, when Jefferson Burdick wrote his catalog, there was no slavery, American women had suffrage rights, and the world was largely agreed to be round. If you want to re-write the ACC, be our guest. But I don't think that was the original question: it was whether or not the Cobb/Cobb belongs in the ACC designation "T206." But you don't seem to be contributing much of substance here.

Last edited by sgbernard; 04-12-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: ignorance