View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
I wasn't a bidder but I did watch closely this auction, and I must say the point made here is the one I most want to see an answer for. End it around noon and the do the extended bidding.
My guess is that the answer is that starting earlier won't help. People hold their bids and put them in as late as possible which causes a bad perpetuating situation. Last year ended at 3:15 so this year, everyone knew there was no way Rob would end before 3 and the auction was pretty active, even on some major lots at that time pushig the close to 3:45. I expect next year is going to be even worse - the auction ended at 3:45 this year, which means next year people will hold their bids until 3:30 which, if history repeats, will mean that it will end at 4:15 and so on...

This may end up being good for us east-coasters as in a few years, we can just wake up at 6 and put our bids in then.

Edited to Add - Barry said "There is no practical way to offer an incentive to bid early, such as a small discount" I think either 19th Century or Clean Sweep does in fact do this.

Last edited by Matt; 05-04-2009 at 08:53 AM.