View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Default Koestler's Bread Question

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

While I do not doubt that there was a Koesters set, I have some problems with your analysis of the cards. If there is an identifiable difference in caption, etc. relating to the Koesters as has been stated on some of the cards that would be a good sign, but there is not on every card- thus essentially making it virtually impossible to distinguish between W575-1 and Koesters.

About the W575-1 set...this is really just a garbage designation indicating all things that appear like E121 that are not identified on the back with a producer. There are AT LEAST 2 different sets being reported as W575-1.

1.)NOT ALL W575-1's come with the "stamped" images as you call them, and have the jagged borders. These cards (in my opinion only) bear remarkable resemblance to W501's only they lack the G-4-22 on the top of the card and are not numberred. They are produced on nearly identical card stock and have low-quality pictures like the W501's. I bought a collection of W501's several years ago, and within the stack were a handful of this type of W575-1's in them. It is also important to note that W501's also come with a similar jagged border much of the time (but not always).

2.)There is a second group of W575-1's that are identical to E121's in both feel and their picture quality. I currently own many of these cards. Included in this lot are the W575-1's with the known overprinted backs, ie. E-UNC Henry Johnson and E-UNC James Keating.

Interested to hear everyones thoughts,
-Rhett