View Single Post
Old 11-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I'm pretty sure you guys are all overthinking this matter. A team like the Indians, even if they could say the last WS ball was their ball, wouldn't do something like that, regardless of possible value. It's an unwritten rule in baseball, and something they never even discuss. The home team pays for the baseballs, but they don't claim ownership over any baseball for any reason.

Once a fan has a baseball, it belongs to them. That should be obvious to anyone who has heard about negotiations for a significant ball. A team wouldn't negotiate with a fan and fail in some cases if they had the right to take the ball back.
Ah, I respectfully disagree. I am sure balls in the stands belong to the team that purchased them. The fact that they try to negotiate with people nicely is strictly for good public relations. If they wanted a cop to take it out of your hand I have reason to think they could. Nowhere on the back of your ticket to my knowledge does it say balls, bats, and other things that end of in the stands are the property of whoever retrieves it. Yes the practice is not to do take it back but it doesn't mean anything legally.