View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I have handled a ton of NY Daily News photos and while they had a few styles of "pre-zip code" stamps from the post WWII era, seems like the example you posted is their last version (late 1950's-1960's). One thing to keep in mind is that they used their stamps for several years and there is no exact window like other companies that moved offices or changed their stamps for legal reasons. I would be willing to bet if I looked around I could find this stamp used after 1963 as well possibly by some older reporters who just did not care and probably some used as early as the mid 1950's, so that breaks it down to probably 1955-1965 I would estimate, but there is not going to be any way based on the stamp alone that you are going to narrow it down. "The News" was probably the worst of all the archives or collections we have looked at as far as narrowing anything down past about 5-10 years absent other markings.
Hey, RMY, where's the February auction??? I'm going through withdrawal here! I know I'm not the only one. Throw us a bone!