View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 09:20 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
What gets me are the descriptions, flowing prose about the player, the game and, of course, the card on offer . . . How many different ways can you describe Ty Cobb, his feats on the Diamond and quirky personality without being repeating yourself.
I strongly agree. My thinking that if you're willing to spend thousands on a Babe Ruth autograph, you already know how great he is and how he's the Sultan of Swat and all that, and what you really want is information about the specific piece being offered. Maybe a few lines about the player, just because, but nothing elaborate or flowery.

Of course, there are always exceptions.

For example, if the biographical information is specifically relevant to the piece being described.

Or, if it's a card that's valuable not because of the player but because of something having to do with the card itself. Then the description would explain why a card of someone you've never heard of is so expensive. The 1958 Topps Pancho Herrera "missing A" error is a good example of a card that falls into that category - the card shown here (PSA Mint 9) sold for $17,926 in a November 2015 Heritage auction.