View Single Post
Old 06-02-2002, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Default Just How Good Do Us Vintage Fans Think Barry Bonds Is???

Posted By: fkw

The "little league field by the bay" is obvious a remark from someone who knows nothing about the field called Pac Bell Park. It is one of the toughest HR parks in the league. There have been exactly 24 balls hit into SF Bay in last 2.33 years, Bonds has 18...... Felipe Crespo (former Giant now in Japan) has 2, rest of Giants and opponets combine for a total of 4!!!!!! Yes 4 players from visiting teams have reached the bay in the air, in over 2.3 years! Pac Bell has the longest right center in baseball at 421 feet and a 20 foot wall with wind coming in from the bay, and obviously at sea level. Sure the line is short, but the wall is fairly tall, and the fence jets out to about 385 within a couple dozen feet from line. If it was easy to hit a ball in bay they why hasnt any other So called Great Lefty Power Hitter of the NL done it. It is rare for a "Splash Hit",... and will be rarer once Bonds hangs them up.
Bonds has been the best player in the league (both Leagues, non pitcher) since he started. He will be the first and only 500/500 guy. Will reach 700 HRs in 3 years if healthy with new 5 year contract. Was at one time one of the best left fielders, has won numerous Gold Gloves to go with his 4 MVPs (should be 6), and he is in his prime as we speak. His stats hurt as far as career RBIs and Average mainly because of the leadoff hitter role he had with Pittsburgh (still has 10 years of 100+ RBIs). Another measurement of Greatness....... Bonds has held the Career Intentional Walk record for about 4-5 years now, and they just keep piling up. He will walk 190+ times this year again with 50+ HRs and no support from poor Jeff Kent. He's not on Roids, works out religiously, and now is actually one of the nicer fan friendly Giants in person. I see him play 30-40 times a year, and just cant begin to compare him to anyone else of this generation (go back to Mays for the closest). He is, and will be for many years to come, The Greatest All Around Player Ever!! Stolen Bases 36, 32, 17, 32, 52, 43, 39, 29, 29, 31, 40, 37, 28, etc. Home Runs 16, 25, 24, 19, 33, 25, 34, 46, 37, 33, 42, 40, 37, 34, 49, 73, etc. With 8 times over 117 Walks a year. Never struck out more than 100 times since rookie year (17 K's this year {11 looking} with 18 HRs). Not to mention the best ever 2001 (in 476 AB's) of 73 HRs, 177 Walks, and the big .863 Slug!!! One day you "East Coast Bonds Bashers" will wake up!!!

PS. Barry has been my favorite all around player since back in 1982. Back then at Serra High School in San Mateo, he upset me (and other Pitchers) with raw speed (and a bit of cockyness). We all knew him back then as Bobby Bonds' kid..... and he was Great then too!!!! I do know my baseball a bit, am a former 95+ Lefty Pitcher (4th round Jan '85 draft Expos) before blowing out arm (and ruptured right patellar tendon, knee) ended it all way too soon. Stats say I was better than John Wetteland (HS & American Legion teammate) at the time. Those were the fun days, now I slave for the County!! ha ha Frank