Thread: August pickups
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
If forced to bet, I'd say Cano gets in. But he definitely needs to do more in the next few years, including a successful playoff appearance or two. Seems like a "pipe dream" for anyone who follows the M's, but I don't think his HOF induction is a given, otherwise. Clutch hitting has not exactly been his "thing" since coming to the NW. Lots of weak groundouts to second with men in scoring position...
If the M's had signed Cruz prior to last season, things could have been very different, but the starters were worn out, so not sure they could have done much in the playoffs. The young prospects did not pan out last year (overall), other than the bullpen.

This year the prospects are also a bust, but Montero and Gutierrez are big surprises, as was Montgomery early on, and at least they finally got rid of Smoak, Ackley and Saunders (I liked all of them, but how long can you wait?). Poor performances out of Zunino, Cano, Elias and the bullpen (Rodney mainly) have killed them this year, plus Paxton and Iwakuma back on the DL, slow start by Walker. I don't think they are far off from making a run this year, but they need a bullpen and they have to dump the sub-.230 hitters and bench Rodney.

Yes, forgot about Strawberry and Gooden - definitely seemed like 'no miss' guys.