Thread: Brooklyn CDV
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
Barry - Yes, that's what I was referring to in post #3 above. The image in National Pastime (I don't have it handy right now) is probably the same as the one at HoF. The ID's I gave above do match the image at the top of this thread.
The image in the National Pastime is in fact the one at the NBL. It is not a period image, as the caligraphy on the mount refers to the Atlantics being champions as late as 1870. I am aware of only one copy in mammoth plate format where the image is period.

The image, besides depicting arguably the most significant team of the 1860's, is extraordinary in the sense that it is the only example I can think of where the studio appears to have created the CdV and mammoth plate from different shoots. Assuming this is the case, the CdV is a first generation photo (i.e., printed from the original negative, instead of being a photo of the mammoth plate). Should someday a period mammoth plate of the precise player configuation as appears in the CdV turn up, then this previous statement will have been incorrect.

What is also interesting is that the mammoth plate is a salt print. I'd be curious to know if this CdV is a salt print or an albumen print. Should it be the former, then it will be the first CdV of which I am aware that is not an albumen print.

Last edited by benjulmag; 09-19-2012 at 12:26 AM.